Monday, June 3, 2013

Health update


Well, it has been a year since I drove myself to the emergency room with a headache that felt like a stroke. I’ve had about 5 headache free days since then. Although they don’t hurt as bad as they used to, I’m still having them every day. Either they are getting better, or I’m getting used to them.

 

Unfortunately my other symptoms have been getting slowly worse. In January I finished up my 100 days of running before a trip to the frigid north of Alaska for a couple weeks. Upon returning I tried to pick back up with the running and found myself having a very difficult time walking the next day.  Since then my hubby and I have been taking walks pretty much nightly to help keep me mobile.  This last week I have been having trouble on the walks and feeling exhausted all the time.

 

Most people that look at me can’t tell there is anything wrong.  I don’t limp all the time. But, if I go grocery shopping by the time I get to the checkout lane I am leaning heavily on the shopping cart and praying that I can drive home safely. My left side is always in some kind of pain, either with numbness and tingling, stabbing pains or a feeling of swelling that is about to pop, or weakness and heaviness in the limbs.

 

My vision is still great, I can still use my arms and legs and I haven’t wet myself. So, physically speaking I am doing great. I am just inconvenienced by a limp and the constant need to pee. I am trying to stay mentally strong through this.  Without an official diagnosis it is easy to be in denial about the state of my condition. But the steady decline in my physical abilities is becoming harder to ignore.

 

I am at a toss up here. I want to have an answer in hand officially as to why I feel this way. I don’t like the preliminary diagnosis phase. According to the Neurologist my magic number is 9 lesions. I was at 3 in 6 months so who knows how long it will take for a diagnosis. It could be another several years before we know anything for sure. I also just want it all to go away and be healed.  But for now, 1 year down. And looking back at it, it hasn’t been all that bad.

 

I don’t want to write to complain or ask for sympathy. This is more of a way to share what is going on with me.  When I say I’m ok, it means I hurt but I am managing to be ok. When I say I am great that means I am pain free for the moment. So that’s my code. I won’t be going to the doctor again until probably July and might be undergoing another MRI at my 1 year from last MRI point. I don’t know yet.  It is still uncertain but I am learning to be ok with that.

 

Through this I am learning to be more patient and sensitive. I don’t want to be silent about this and hide it like I am ashamed. But I do want to give hope to other people that are “suffering in silence.”  We can be a blessing to others through the things that are hurting us.  We can show God’s love and sufficiency through hard times.  God is getting me through this. When I am hurting I start praying all the more.

 

I am quiet through this because I don’t want to burden people with what I am going through. I am a normal person just like any one else and do not need any special treatment or consideration.  Just know that if I am sitting quietly it is not because I am depressed or feeling down. I’m just taking a breather so that I can face the rest of the day. I am going to need to take more breaks and sit down when I am tired. Its part of the weakness I am feeling. (The pain in my left leg and arm feels a lot like growing pains, that deep cold stabbing ache) Sitting down and messaging my limbs helps to alleviate some of that pain.  I am not asking for attention or for others to stop what they are doing by sitting down, I am just taking a rest before I tire myself out so much that I won’t be able to walk the next day.

 

So that is what I am going through right now.  I am still positive. I am still leaning on the Father, knowing that His strength is all that gets me through each day. I am still teaching my children, keeping my house clean and being the best Child of God, Wife, mother and friend that I know how to be.  I still need people in my life, so those of you that are afraid to talk to me because of my “condition” please don’t be. I’m still me, and I’m not going to talk to you about what is going on unless you ask me because I don’t want to make you uncomfortable or sorry for me.

 

God has richly blessed me and my family for many years. This is just one of those trials in life that I am meant to face.  Prayerfully I do it with grace, showing that my God is sufficient through All things.

 

It has taken me over a week to write this because I don’t want to complain, I don’t want to keep talking about MS.  But lately it seems every conversation I have revolves around MS.  But that is not me; I am not my “disease.”  I am still the person that will go out of my way to help those in need. I am still that great listener, and quiet spirit that Loves her God, Family and Country. 

 

So let’s all just go back to being us again.  I will keep everyone updated here on the blog. I will be happy to answer your questions you have about how I’m feeling for real if you really want to know. But truly I am ok.

 

Love you all

Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment