Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What is your cooking style?


Do you consider cooking an experiment? An art form? A necessary evil?

 

Do you carefully measure your ingredients and follow recipes exactly? Are you one of the few to change up a recipe and make it your own?  Or, are you one of the even fewer that does not use a recipe at all?

 

I was raised reading recipes and can follow pretty much any instructions given. What I don’t know can be easily Googled or watched on YouTube.  However over the years of watching all the lovely women in my life I have learned that it is much more fun to change up the recipe, or even create something compleatly new on your own.

 

Some of my “creations” are an experiment because I am using whatever we have in the house. Fortunately my children love being my little taste testers. Sometimes cooking is an art form that take hours to complete and tastes oh so delicious to the palate.
It is these times when my little ones refuse to eat the deliciousness that is set before them. They do not yet have the delicate and mature palate required to eat a meal that takes longer than an hour to prepare.
 

I can no longer follow a recipe. I absolutely have to change it. Even those pre-made box dinners, or pancake mix has to get an overhaul. Over the years I have come up with so many of my own recipes, but I never ever write them down.  I am a firm believer in the dump method of cooking.  I do not measure, unless I am baking a cake. And I always add extra flavors to those cakes.

 

There in lies my problem.  When someone likes one of my dishes, or “creations” and asks for a recipe, I can not give them one unless, they too are of the dump method of cooking.  I can give you the ingredients, but would totally be guessing about the measurements of each one. So, would that recipe turn out the same as mine? Probably not.  I am a huge fan of flavor and 99% of the time I cook by smell. If it smells good, it’s more than likely going to taste good.

 

Are any of you like me? Or is this a unique trait as well? If you are like me, how do you share your delicious treats with others? Do you give in and finally measure everything so that you can have a recipe to share with others?

No comments:

Post a Comment