Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Book Review: Secrets of a City Bench by April Love

During the past two years of living in San Antonio,
 I have had the pleasure of making the acquaintance with several published authors,
 even developing friendships with a few of them. One of these people is a
wonderful woman by the name of April Love.
 She has two works of fiction currently available for purchase:
Secrets of a City Bench and Gift of the Morning.
 
I recently purchased a copy of both books to help support
my dear friend and fellow author.
I was blown away by the story that unfolded before my eyes in Secrets of a City Bench.
Although the name is quite peculiar, the reason for the title is fitting.
 
This is a very real story.
Although it may be a work of fiction, it is something that happens all too often.
Angie tries to be strong but she has to deal with the very real consequences of hiding from her past. She tries to push the past behind her and forget what she went through
 instead of dealing with the pain. She acts out at people who have never hurt her
simply because of her experiences.
Angie does not know where to turn for help. Rather than deal with her problems
 she longs for pain numbing sleep. However, in this time of supposed rest her nightmares from the past come back to haunt her.
 Counseling opens the wounds, and fails to let her heal.
 
Sam wants to rescue Angie.
 This is a tale as old and familiar as time itself.
The hero comes along to save the damsel in distress.
She allows herself to be rescued and they live happily ever after, or so he thinks.
Sam’s own past is stained with regret and hardships of its very own.
 Sam, an ex-con, deals with very real problems of his own.
 
This duo meets under the strangest of circumstances, but for them it is perfect.
They fall in love eventually getting married.
Nevertheless, this isn’t your typical love story.
I often found myself asking Angie, ‘Why can’t you just let him love you?’
And Sam, ‘Why is anger your first response?’
This is a story that makes you root for the under dogs wanting them both to succeed.
At first, I didn’t feel like the characters were believable
because of the way they interacted with each other.
 However, as time unfolds, the true nature of who they are
and where they come from fill in and it is
easy to see how someone can get to this point.
 
I recommend this book to an older audience
due to the nature of graphic content
 and strong language that is unsuitable for a younger audience.
If you, or someone you know, are a survivor of a vicious past,
this is a story that will help you to see that you are not alone in this.
No matter how bad your current situation may be, it can get better.
Once I began to read Love’s portrayal of this not so ordinary couple,
 I could not put the book down.
 
Below are a couple of excerpts from Secrets of a City Bench
 used with permission by the author to give you a glimpse inside the cover into the deep underbelly that so many of us “normal folk” never get to see.
 
Angie is a girl that has a troubling past.
After running away from a sexually abusive home,
she finds herself resorting to a lifestyle of selling herself.
 

*          *          *          *          *
Angie sat at the desk and cried. She basically hadn’t slept since Sunday because the nightmares had been so bad. Every time she did drift to sleep, Darlene would have to come and wake her up. She was back to an all-liquid diet again because every time she tried to eat, it came right back up again. And the crying never seemed to stop anymore. She cried so hard the lines on the paper were no longer visible, and her words became a jumbled mess. Then she would have to stop writing altogether and just sit there and sob until the pain eased some.
There was a knock at the door, then Darlene came in. “Are you okay, Angie?”
“Just go away and leave me alone,” Angie snapped. If she had to be miserable, she at least wanted to be that way in private.
“I’m worried about you, Angie,” she continued. “Things seem to be getting worse.”
“No kidding,” Angie said with sarcasm.
Darlene looked away, then tentatively stated, “You’ll probably be upset with me, but I called Dr. Thatcher.”
“What!” Angie yelled. “He’ll put me in the state hospital! Why did you do that?”
“I’m sorry Angie,” Darlene said, “but I felt like I had to. Anyway,” she said, trying to sooth Angie’s wrath, “he just wants to talk to you on the phone.”
“Great,” Angie snarled as she rose from the desk. She stomped down the stairs and then violently pushed the buttons on the phone. Once she got through to Doc, she said coldly, “This is Angie. What do you want?”
“Darlene’s worried about you,” she heard Doc say on the other end of the line.
“I’m fine,” she said in anger.
“I’m not convinced.”
“This isn’t fair,” Angie whined.
“All you have to do is convince me that you’re okay,” Doc said. “Now what’s going on?”
Angie wiped the tears away from her face and sniffled. “I’m just dealing with some really hard stuff, that’s all.” All she heard was silenced on the other end. She really didn’t want to go into it, but she knew Doc wasn’t going to let her off the hook that easily. “Look, Doc,” she begged, “it’s stuff I’ve never told anyone, and after it all happened, I just pushed it back like it never happened. I had to survive. Okay?’
“What else?” he asked.
She sighed, “There’s just a lot of feelings, and they’re really intense, but I’m not going to do anything crazy. I just need time to get through this. I thought that was why I was here,” she added with a tint of sarcasm.
“I hear you,” Doc replied. “You’d better not make me regret my decision to let you stay. Now let me talk to Darlene.”
Angie handed the phone to Darlene, then went back upstairs. She was relieved Doc was going to let her stay, but she had doubts herself. Everything was so overwhelming she didn’t know how much longer she could continue like this.
She sat at the desk and read what she had just written minutes before. Shivers ran up her back. She wrote down the words, “She’s a feisty one, isn’t she?” She had briefly been faced with the pain, fear, and humiliation when she had the flashback when Mike had said those words, but she quickly forced herself to forget what had happened, like she had done every other time it had come up.
But now she knew she couldn’t push it away anymore. She wrote down everything that had happened. She had been propositioned by two men.
 
*          *          *          *          *

 
Sam, a young man also with a sordid past,
comes across Angie one day near a city bench. It is here that they develop a relationship. Once a week they meet to talk and share a meal.

 

*          *          *          *          *
“I’m not doing anything wrong. I’m just waiting on a friend.”
“Yeah, sure,” the officer patronized. “One who will pay for your services, which just so happen to be illegal.”
Angie saw Sam running toward her. “No, really, I’m not doing anything wrong.”
“What’s the trouble, Officer?” Sam asked the policeman.
The policeman turned. “Well, I’ll be. If it isn’t Sam Trailer. Your parole officer would sure like to hear how you’re visiting a prostitute.”
“Hello, Officer George,” Sam said cautiously. “I assure you that I am not involved with anything illegal, sir. Angie and I are friends. We sit together and eat and talk, but that’s it. And there’s noting illegal about that.”
“Is that so?” Officer George said, not convinced.
Sam opened the duffel bag and showed the officer, “Our supper, sir.”
Looking into it, the officer asked, “Can I see what else you have in there?”
“Go right ahead.” Sam placed the contents of the bag onto the bench: three sandwiches, pretzels, two bananas, Twinkies, a thermos, and Sam’s Bible. Same gave the empty bag to the policeman who examined it for hidden compartments.
“All right,” the officer said at last, “but I warn you, I’m keeping my eye on you. And you, too,” he said to Angie. Turning back to Sam, he continued, “You step out of line just one time, boy, and I’ll put you back in the joint quicker than you can blink your eye. Do you understand?”
“Yes, Sir.”
The policeman stormed off, throwing the bag on the ground. Sam bent to pick it up. “That was close.”
When Sam started to sit on the bench, Angie didn’t follow. “Why didn’t you tell me you’re an ex-con.”
Taking her hand into his, he said, “Sit down, and I’ll tell you all about it.” He led her to the bench, and they sat down, Angie keeping a safe distance from him. “I was paroled a year ago after serving nine years. I went in when I was 16, but I don’t ever plan on going back.” He closed his eyes, but Angie could see the moisture glistening on his lashes. “I killed my father,” he whispered.
Angie sucked her breath in. Sam was a murderer! How? What if he decided to kill again? She wanted to run, but knew she wouldn’t be able to get away. What had she gotten herself into? And all because of a little easy money!
 

*          *          *          *          *
  
Purchase your copy at Amazon
 
 also available at Amazon
 by April Love
 
 
 
Also available at Barnes and Noble
 
 
 
 also available at Barnes and Noble 
by April Love
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment