Friday, September 26, 2014

Book review: Misfit Toymakers (Misfits Made Book 1) by Keith Jenkins


Author Keith Jenkins’ newest novel,
 Misfit Toymakers: Misfits Made book 1
Published by Author House, is, in his own words,
“A Historical Fiction set in the future, back dropped by the secession of Texas from the Union and the states that follow with it, the politics of the fifty years between now and then.”
 
I personally find this description to be highly amusing, and accurate.
Normally my first choice of reading material isn’t a political thriller.
However, Jenkins includes an abundance of fast paced action scenes, mixed with futuristic tech,
and quirky sense of humor to keep the reader constantly entertained.
 
Between the covers of Misfit Toymakers you will find: politics, a love story, tech gadgets, international commerce, ADD boy, terrorists, redemption, millionaires,clones, and more. 
I enjoyed the fast pace and creative genius of Jenkins Novel. He comes up with tech that I hope one day will be an every day part of life. Even if a political thriller isn’t your first choice for pleasure reading, I found that this story has a little bit of everything, something for most audiences to enjoy.
For up to date information on the Misfit Toymakers, click here
 
The cast of Characters: 

Joshua Danz (A.k.a ADD Boy) ~ “A man conflicted by who he was, is, and is not. He discovers that his is a life of wealth and power that must be learned, not earned. He is the master of a massive, global Enterprise, and yet somehow he is its subject. Also, he is a man of strong desires and dedications; his love, though quiet and covert, is powerful as it drives him to find all truth about himself. As a man with no memories, he discovers that he has been told the story of his life, but then his memories begin to reappear, like a favorite movie, with an additional lifetime attached.”

Follow Joshua Danz on Facebook

Ethyl ~ “The woman he fist comes to love, after his recovery is a real piece of work. She is smart, capable, beautiful, sexy, deadly, and wise. She works for him, as his administrative assistant and much more. She makes certain that his every command is carried out, and she protects him with her life- a life that is not nearly as long as it looks.”

Follow Ethyl on Facebook
Here 

 
Doctor Ilyssa Marquez (A.k.a. Doc) ~ “was born in Mexico and is a genuine genius and medical doctor who had her Bachelors at sixteen, Masters at eighteen and before she was thirty had perfected the hardware and surgeries that would rebuild Joshua, almost from scratch. Ilyssa is beautiful, brilliant, and engaging in every way! She is burdened with intrigues as the sponsor of her work on Danz, simply take away her promising future, and she wants it back.”
 
Follow Doc on Facebook
 
Here
 
Below is an excerpt from Jenkins’ newest book
Misfit Toymakers (Misfits Made book 1)
(with permission from the author)
 
 
The Crash and Recovery
            I wasn’t always this young, you know? More than a lifetime ago, there was screaming tires! Headlights to my right! Shrieks of terror from the front seat, with blood lacquered on my hands and a BANG of glass exploding all around me. Pain and the dark of night envelop me. The car door is shoved against my head with a BOOM. Airbags inflate somewhere out of sight. My feet stop, and soon, yelling in the distance and the crackle of burning, something . . . everything. Even with the flames all around me, and while my bleeding or burning to death is on the menu, there is still a small, quiet voice in the back of my head saying, “Hmm, that happened.” And though I am flailing about in the dark of night with flames all over my body, I can’t help but see
through the smoke and screaming pain, that there is a head, shattered and splattered, on a car window opposite me with only a singular crack running up and down the window, and I’m so ADD that somewhere in the back of my reeling mind I am thinking, “That’s some impressive glass.” That’s where this story really begins. The cold wind blows over me through the window, and outside there are shouting voices getting closer and the door being torn from the car . . . tears flow, cooling to my face, even as parts of me are crunching in their hands. I’m fading from consciousness . . . sirens sound . . . people shouting to me, at me, for others to come. Fading, “But . . . !”
 
I want to scream, but nothing happens. I am trying to flail, to put the fires out, to shout, to cry, but nothing comes. My eyes are so watered up that all I can see are pools of darkness followed by a blob of colour, then colours, undulating one among another, and then I’m blinking, the tears run down my cheeks, as I realize that the colours I see are not the colours I had seen, they’re brighter – whiter – cleaner – daylight – indoors. “Where am I? What’s going on? Who are you, and why are you doing this to me?” I try to say it all, but nothing comes out. Still, I’m not burning – I’m cool and not in pain, so there’s that.
There’s a guy in the doctor mask with his hands on my face. He must have seen the terror and confusion in my eyes because he replied. He removes his mask and his lips move as if to say, “Just a moment,” but it sounds like Charlie Brown’s mom, and everything was gone. I didn’t realize what was happening then. Really, it would be days before any true understanding of my reality would arrive.
I just wake up and I can’t move. I can’t scream for help. I can barely blink my eyes and think, and more than anything else I am worried about what I am thinking. I am thinking that it seems like weeks since I did anything, and I can’t remember what that was. I can’t remember if what I did last was work or play or spend time with my wife and kids. What is my wife’s name? I can’t picture her face at all. Do I have a wife and kids? I try to think about what I do for a living, and it simply will not come to me, and then I realize, “Wait a minute, who am I? Holy crap! I can’t even remember my own name.” I close my eyes hard and try to think, but even my face won’t come to mind. Who am I?
I begin to panic, but that doesn’t help, and no one comes to see me. I hear some beeping and quiet whirring noises around me and realize that these are the sounds I have heard on TV when someone was in an ICU – I think, “I’m hooked up to some doctor junk.” Hard as I try, I can only look around as far as my eyes can move, and that ain’t much. Just on the bottom edge of my field of vision, I can see a breathing tube of some sort, and I hear the slow and steady “whish . . . whoosh” sound from a respirator. I’d heard that before, but I can’t remember where or when or why. I start feeling a panic going on and hear the beeping of my EKG or EEG or something getting faster and very shortly, a nurse comes in. She sees, she glares, and then she shouts.
“He’s awake.” I hear, but the words are garbled. It is like my head is under pillows or like I am laying down in a shallow bath with my ears covered by water. A small, red light in the hallway begins to rotate and flash quietly as a stream of people dressed in scrubs flood into the room, finally followed by an authoritative looking woman and a man with a lab coat. It seems like a dozen others are mumbling around me as if my ears aren’t quite working; everything still garbled. Lab coat guy comes close beside me and leans down saying, “Looks pretty good.” And that’s all I recall from that visit. I must have passed out or something.

 
Click appropriate link
to purchase your own copy of Misfit Toymakers
Available at Amazon
 
 
Also available at Barnes and Noble

 
For all things Keith
visit his linked in profile for access to his personal web pages


If you read Misfit Toymakers:(Misfits Made book 1)
make sure to come back and check out books 2 and 3 of the Misfits Made series.
Working titles subject to change
Mexican Mission:(Misfits Made book 2) & Ambassador's Tale:(Misfits Made book 3)


An excerpt from Mexican Mission:(Misfits Made book 2)

  Church in the Weeds
We are all up and out by dawn, big kids fed and dressed, loaded into the caravan. The babies will stay home with Cinco today. Mike has gone ahead with the Angel and taken a box of supplies that had arrived the other day from Tejas. Every few months we get a box full of stuff for the neighbors. We have four locations to the south of us where we usually set up church. Each church is its own autonomous operation with a group of elders, that’s born-againers that have been saved for a while and really get it, who study the Word and have shown themselves as men striving to live God’s way. We stop in to lead worship from time to time and bring support materials in the boxes, and to help the elders with any problems that they may have trouble with. In that sense, I guess I am what Paul would describe as an overseer, or what the old church called a bishop. It’s an honor, not a job.
It is an early start as we head about twenty miles south of home on the 39, then west-ish to Ciudad Valles, then south another ten miles, west again into the territory. There are big roads, and small towns, plains, and thickets, and trails through jungles to get there. The wildlife we encounter along the way is like a trip to the zoo for the kids and the Hanratty’s take it much the same way. He drives as she points, with an ooh and ah, and shoots everything she can with the camera in her phone. Ethyl drives her Mega Cruiser, with the locator beacon in her nav sat, and I follow in the SHV-19-D (which has four rows of seats an d gas powered electric drive), while Hanratty’s drive a deuce and a half full of tables and benches, and Doc brings up the rear in the medical van. Its well over an hour and a half journey from home to holler and with all these kids, and me of course, we have made several pit stops along the way. Never, I repeat; never blame the women for the stops. You are always better off if you just assume any blame in this. One nice thing about being in the woods is that we can just pull over and find a tree, or a bush; we don’t have to locate a suitable business, restaurant or gas station; there are no rest areas like in Texas.
         It is shortly after eight, when we arrive at the box, following the transponder that Mike put on it, with Ethyl’s nav system in her expert hands. We unload a few benches from the trucks and cue up some music. This morning we are playing “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord” from Godspell. I love that tune. The people know we are coming so they are on their way. The music is our way of saying that we are ready for them to arrive. At first it is the elders, who greet us all with handshakes, hugs and kisses, followed by the most faithful and most nearby of the followers and there will be strangers and stragglers coming in until the last of the food is eaten and the work is done. It never fails that someone will arrive right be fore we are ready to go. Just wait and see.
           We have unloaded about a half dozen benches into the clearing, three to the left and three to the right from the pulpit area and as the people arrive they bring the other benches out of the truck, assisted by Hanratty and wife. The elders have asked that my family not be seen loading and unloading the vehicles. Even when Doc and Ethyl need medical supplies from the van, they would rather get it for them, or send one of the deacons. It is their way of establishing and maintaining order so that respect and discipline can be upheld throughout the tribes, as this congregation consists of people from eight or nine neighboring tribes and the elders come from all. In this way the elders are seen submitting to us, as the deacons – regardless of tribe – submit to the elders, and so it flows.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment