Thursday, May 31, 2012

A book Every parent should read



A couple months ago I was going through my junk mail box for my e-mail account before deleting all the mail that I didn't ask for.  So many people send me e-mails assuming I am a middle aged man in need of a little extra help, and in need of AA RP.  I assure you I am none of those things.  Anyway, on one such occasion of laughing at all the "free offers" I came across an e-mail from Barnes and Noble.  Normally I would just keep going and ignore it, but it said I had a book waiting for me.  I didn't order any books so I was skeptical but clicked on the message anyway.  My dad had purchased me a book for the Nook that he got me for my last birthday.  Good thing I checked it and didn't just delete it! This is what I found

The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary strategies to nurture your child's developing mind.
 By Daniel J. Siegel, MD. and Tina Payne Bryson, PhD.

I admit I am only 86 pages into this 138 page book, but it has been so eye opening.  It gives several real world examples of real parents dealing with real problems that we all have with raising our children.  Using a scientific example of how the brain works and how to most efficiently and effectively communicate with our children.

Understanding the way the brain functions makes a big difference on the way I communicate with my children.  It also helps me to understand why I react the way I do to certain stimuli.  I know why my skin crawls when the house is a mess now. For older children the authors have been kind enough to include mini comic strips to share with your children to help explain the different strategies.

Introduction: Survive and Thrive
Chapter 1: Parenting with the brain in mind.
Chapter 2: Two brains are better than one: Integrating the Left and the Right
Whole-Brain strategy #1 Connect and Redirect: Surfing Emotional Waves.
Whole-Brain strategy #2: Name it to Tame it: Telling stories to calm big emotions.
Chapter 3: Building the staircase of the Mind: Integrating the Upstairs and Downstairs brain
Whole-Brain Strategy #3: Engage, Don't Enrage: Appealing to the Upstairs Brain
Whole-Brain Strategy #4: Use it or Lose it: Exercising the Upstairs Brain
Whole-Brain Strategy #5: Move it or Lose it: Moving the body to avoid losing the mind.
Chapter 4: Kill the Butterflies! Integrating Memory for growth and healing
Whole-Brain Strategy #6 Use the Remote of the Mind: Replaying memories
Whole-Brain Strategy #7: Remember to Remember. Making Recollection a Part of your family's daily life.
Chapter 5: The United States of Me: Integrating the many parts of self
Whole-Brain Strategy #8: Let the clouds of Emotion roll by: teaching that feelings come and go
Whole-Brain Strategy #9: Sift: Paying attention to What's going on inside
Whole-Brain Strategy #10: Exercise Mindsight: getting back to the hub.
Chapter 6: The Me-We connection: Integrating Self and Other
Whole-Brain Strategy #11: Increase the Family fun factor: Making a point to Enjoy each other
Whole-Brain Strategy #12: Connect Through Conflict: Teach kids to argue with a "we" in mind
Conclusion: Bringing it all together
Refrigerator Sheet
Whole-Brain Ages and Stages


Check out this link to see several pages from inside the book

And buy a copy while you're there!

If you want the best for your children and will use what ever tool it takes to be the best parent you can be, I highly recommend this book.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment