Saturday, February 4, 2012

My first ice cream cake

My daughter turned 10 on Tuesday and to celebrate I made her an Ice Cream cake. It was a big hit even though I didn't use a recipe.  Because this was my first attempt at an ice cream cake, I took pictures to document my success or failure.  Choose the flavors you like, although this combination was delicious!


Bake brownies from a box mix in two 9" cake pans


Transfer first brownie "cake" into a 9' spring form pan


This is the Ice Cream I used, Strawberry Cheesecake and Vanilla Bean



Allow ice cream to soften
 (or if you are impatient like me put it in the microwave for 30 seconds)
Spread first layer of ice cream. (Strawberry cheesecake)


Add second brownie "cake" on top of ice cream


Add second layer of ice cream (Vanilla Bean)


Wrap in foil and freeze for at least 3 hours
 (I did all the steps above the night before her birthday and froze over night)


Now it's time to make the frosting
Mix softened cream cheese, Vanilla and almond extract to taste


1 cup sugar and 2 cups heavy cream
This is a firm whipped frosting that will hold it's shape and not "melt off"


Remove the frozen cake from it's pan.
If it is frozen closed, place entire thing in the sink in hot water for about 10 seconds, the edges will release from the pan and the latch will easily open.
(don't submerge the entire cake, just the metal part. I know you knew that but just in case)


I put the cake on a cake board because the icing and decorations will be further out than the spring form pan
( I just left it there, it made the cake board stronger)
Place cake back in the freezer so it can firm back up again.


Use the next 10 or so minutes to smash a few Oreos


use your hands to smoosh the Oreos around the side of the cake.
I used my Pampered Chef  Easy accent decorator to decorate the top and bottom
Any day that I get to use my Kitchen Aid and decorator is a good day!


Drizzle with caramel and chocolate sauce.
I used the caramel that came with the box of brownies. It was a turtle brownie
And the shell chocolate so it was hard on the cake not dripping


 
                                       add a cookie and maraschino cherry in the middle
freeze until 15 min before you are ready to blow out the candles


Inside
Make sure to cut the pieces small! This is a very rich cake.
It easily serves 12-18 people

Enjoy!



Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment